Monday, February 3, 2014

Life Skils

It is really on my heart that an important part of our homeschooling is to teach them life skills.  I know so many kids leaving high school who are clueless about things like budgets, grocery shopping, banking, and in general taking care of themselves.

In a way we have already been doing this kind of teaching in my home.  They go with me to the grocery store.  They are understanding about the importance of keeping track of what we are spending. Coupons are sometimes a big deal, as well as saying "No" to unnecessary purchases.  The girls take turns in the kitchen already - Little Sis helps me a lot and Big Sis actually cooks dinner at least once a week - in addition to doing most of the baking. I also encourage my kids to pay for things themselves at stores - how to count back money and pay attention to receipts etc.

I am going to start teaching them more about the other areas like how to write checks, make a budget, follow a budget. How to clean and take care of things, fix things etc. All things that I feel people need to know.

Another important part of our homeschooling is teaching the girls to be healthy.  I have been slacking in this area but then again I haven't been as healthy either.  I really committed this year to being more health conscious.  I am deliberately buying more veggies and forgoing on the not as healthy snacks - we don't have a lot of junk food anyways but even crackers vs fruit or cereal vs real breakfast like eggs makes a difference.  We are also doing P.E. 3 days a week. An hour after breakfast we walk with a walking video (when warmer am weather hits we will actually walk outside).  Mondays we go 1 mile, Wednesdays - 2 miles, Fridays - 3 miles. Big Sis and I will work with weights also.

I think that exercise and eating right are important life skills that I want my kids to start on now so that when they do leave home they can carry on with them.

Proverbs 22:6

New King James Version (NKJV)
Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.
 
This isn't just spiritually - this is important in all aspects of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment